Kapenta,(sardines) are a very tasty type of fish, very small in size. They can be enjoyed both dry and fresh. Here is a recipe on how to cook dry kapenta the Zambian way. They can be eaten with nshima and a side vegetable like Pumpkin leaves (Chibwabwa) or cooked okra.
How to cook dry Kapenta
1 cup dried kapenta
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 tsp curry powder
Zamgold cooking Oil
1.Pick out some dirt particles from the Kapenta and briefly fry on a dry pan for 5 minutes
2.Soak your kapenta in warm water for about 5 minutes then remove from the water
3. Heat 4 tablespoons of cooking oil on a pan and add the kapenta and salt
4. Fry continuously till the Kapenta starts to brown
5.Get your ingredients ready that is, chopped onion (1 medium onion), chopped tomato (1 large tomato) and chopped green pepper
6. Add the onions first and some curry, then the tomatoes and continue frying.
7. Add the green pepper last and fry for a few minutes
8. Make sure the tomatoes and onions are well cooked before adding green pepper
9. Ready to serve
This post is brought to you by ensansa.com.
Ensansa.com is an online African food store specializing in Zambian traditional food and ships to US, Europe,Canada and Australia . Visit their store today at ensansa.com.
Follow their instagram profile here @ensansazm