Today we are going to learn how to cook Busala with gravy.
Busala sometimes known as Lusala is a root vegetable commonly found in the Southern part of Zambia. It is a dish authentic to Zambia. The English name is not well known but the scientific name is Dioscorea hirtiflora. (Food Composition Report 1311 2007)
The recipe we are making today is a very simple but healthy dish. We are going to call it “Busala in gravy dish”, and it can be served with nshima or potatoes.
It can be served with rice too though the dish tends to have a certain sliminess that makes it not so much fun to eat with rice.
But first, let’s look at;
- Nutrition Benefits of Busala
- Common Busala Recipes
- How to cook Busala with Gravy
You may also like: How to cook Soya Chunks Curry Zambian style
Nutrition Benefits of Busala
Busala is a root vegetable therefore it contains some dietary fibre that is good for overall health. It also helps reduce blood cholesterol levels and may lower the risk of heart disease.
You may also like: How to cook Siavonga Kapenta
Common Busala Recipes
They are different ways of how to cook busala that is by using groundnuts, boiling or mixing it with some other food like Kapenta or beef.
How to Cook Busala with Gravy
For this recipe, you will need;
3 handfuls of busala/lusala roots
A Fresh red pepper
Fresh yellow pepper
Some fresh green pepper
2 medium sized tomatoes
1 medium sized onion
3 tablespoons vegetable cooking oil
BBQ Spice (or any seasoning of your choice)
1. Wash and clean the busala/lusala roots on running water
- Put in the pot with a tablespoon of oil and salt and boil the busala for 30 minutes
- Transfer the busala into a pan with a teaspoon of oil
- Cover with a lid for 2 minutes then stir
- Add in your tomatoes, onions, peppers and seasoning
- Stir continuously for 5 minutes and add 1/2 cup of water
- Allow to simmer till you have thick appealing gravy
- Ready to serve
You may also like: How to cook Lumanda with Groundnuts
This Busala recipe is one of many Zambian food traditional recipes available on this site. Click in the search box on the Menu Tab for more…..
Did you like this? Share it or leave us comment below