Kalembula is Sweet Potato leaves. It is a Zambian Vegetable and can be best enjoyed with Nshima (Pap) and a protein dish like beef, fish and Kapenta. It is very easy to cook and does not take up a long time. The best way to cook Kalembula (Sweet potato leaves) is by frying. It is also very nutritious like many green vegetables. Here is a recipe on how to cook Kalembula.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
How to cook Kalembula
3 bundles of Kalembula
1 medium onion
3 tablespoons cooking oil
Salt to taste
- Remove the leaves from the stalk, wash and allow water to drain
- As an option, you can leave the kalembula outside in the sun to dry for a while
- Put cooking oil in a heating pan, then add tomatoes, onion, salt and stir to make a gravy.
- Stir the gravy until the moisture from the tomato dries out
- Add the kalembula and cook, stirring frequently for 5-10 minutes
- Ready to serve
Enjoy your Kalembula with some pap (Nshima) and a protein dish.
To learn more about Zambian food cuisine an how to prepare delicious authentic Zambian Meals, purchase our Zambian foods cookbook by clicking here: