Beef tripe or Offals as it is popularly known in Zambia contains cow intestines, lungs and other parts of a cows insides including a blanket-like piece known in Zambia as Ichifu. They are popularly known as “matumbo” even though the term matumbo mainly refers to the intestines. They can be very fatty and the fat tend to coagulate very quickly hence they need to be eaten while still warm. So today, we will learn how to cook Offals –beef tripe
How to cook Offals
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: Approximately 2 hours
You will need
1 medium sized tomato (diced)
1 medium sized onion (chopped)
- Wash your beef tripe thoroughly
- Put them in a pot and add salt.
- Boil till tender.
- Add a bit of cooking oil (so it does not stick to the pot and fry it a bit)
- Then add tomatoes and onions to your tripe and cook till tomatoes are well cooked.
- Add a bit of water to make some gravy and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Ready to serve.
You can enjoy them with nshima and a side vegetable dish.
To learn more about Zambian food cuisine an how to prepare delicious authentic Zambian Meals, purchase our Zambian foods cookbook by clicking here: