Okra is a very nutritious vegetable. The most common way to prepare it in Zambia though involves the use of “soda” (bicarbonate of soda) which is a chemical compound. It makes the okra tasty and adds a beautiful colour but it reduces the nutrients. The healthy way of cooking recommended is by frying, grilling or roasting.
If you do not mind about losing the nutrients, here is a recipe of how to cook okra with soda.
You will need;
A packet okra (25 individual okras)
1 large tomato
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup of water 250mls
Some salt to taste
How to cook okra with soda
- Wash the okra
- Remove the stems and the bottoms of the okra
- Dice the okra
- Put water in a pot with the ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and leave to boil
- Add the okra, dice the tomato and add together with salt
- Leave to boil while stirring continuously
- Stir for about 10 minutes
- When the tomato is cooked, the okra is ready to serve
When okra starts to boil, it tends to overflow. Do not leave the pot unattended to. Stir continuously until it is ready.