Pig’s Trotters are the feet of a pig. Just like beef hooves (cow feet), they are a delicious Zambian dish that can be enjoyed with nshima and vegetables. They are also sticky in texture and tend to make a thick gravy.
Today we are going to learn how to cook Pig’s trotters the Zambian way.
You will need;
½ kg of pork trotters (already cut in pieces)
2 medium tomatoes
3 tablespoons cooking oil
Seasoning of your choice
How to cook Pig’s Trotters
- Wash the trotters in cold water
- Put them in a pot and add water, salt and a bit of cooking oil
- Bring to a boil for about 3-4 hours adding more water when it evaporates
- When the trotters are cooked, soft and tender, add tomato and onion
- Add seasoning and stir well
- Continue to cook until the tomatoes are cooked
- The trotters will make a rich thick gravy
- Simmer for a few minutes
- It is now ready to serve
You can serve with nshima and a side vegetable.